UFTO Bulletin #21 April 29, 1996
To: UFTO Members: . . in this issue: . . . . . .
Tampa Meeting EdF Project Employee Patents DOE Workshop
This will be a quick note, to be followed up in more detail later in the month, since I’m leaving town tomorrow April 30 for a week (see item 3 below).
1. TAMPA!! April 24-26. UFTO MEMBERS MEETING & BREAKTHROUGH TECHNOLOGIES CONFERENCE.
I hope you and your company representatives found both meetings to be useful and productive. I know I did. Copies of any trip reports or notes would be much appreciated.
One key bit of guidance I got was that email is working well for UFTO, so I should emphasize sending materials that way–which is why this Bulletin is coming to you this way.
2. WELCOME A NEW MEMBER: Sierra Pacific Power Co., in Reno NV joined UFTO. Bob Balzar is our point of contact, and he can be reached at 702-689-4028. (See the new UFTO member list handed out in Tampa.)
3. One of the major departments in the R&D part of Electricite de France has agreed to a proposal I submitted to them to investigate their R&D portfolio, to get a sense of what they have to offer and how it could be communicated. The sheer size of EdF’s programs plus the fact that their work is primarily focused on electric utility needs means that we can be sure to find a treasure trove of technology.
While this project is separate and apart from UFTO, I anticipate benefits to you as UFTO members, since I’ve positioned you as the “test audience” for EdF technology information. I’ll keep you posted. I’ll be traveling to EdF in Paris, leaving Tuesday April 30 and back here in the office on May 9. (Don’t be too envious–it’ll be a lot of hard work and long hours, honest!)
4. Texas Utilities wants a survey done on Employee Invention/Patents policies and procedures, across utilities and more importantly other technology companies. Are you sufficiently interested in participating to want to kick in some resources (e.g., UFTO consulting time or dollars)? This could work like the “benchmarking” study I did earlier this year, or it could be a full-fledged UFTO deliverable. Let me know!
5. DOE Office of Industrial Technology is sponsoring a 1/2 day conference this Thursday May 2 from 1:00 to 5:00 pm entitled “Electric Utility Restructuring: Impact on Industries of the Future” in which experts will describe the coming changes and what they mean to the seven industries in OIT’s Industries of the Future Program. Speakers include John Anderson, Elcon, Richard O’Neill, FERC, and several representative of gas turbine manufacturers (on opportunities in DU). It’s open to anyone, so if someone can get to it, enjoy! Let us know what you learn.
If I get the agenda via email, I’ll foward it to you. In the meantime, For more information, call Stan Blazewicz , 202-586-4679
6. The Utility Battery Group is holding its next meeting in Vernon Calif, on May 15-17. You should be on their mailing list. The agenda brochure should arrive in the mail any day now.
Contact Paula Taylor, Energetics, 410-290-0370 or 301-564-8017.
The new membership policy has been established–companies can join for only $1000. Let me know asap if you want me to attend for you.
Au Revoir, Mes Amis!
Edward Beardsworth, Consultant
951 Lincoln Ave___________Tel 415-328-5670___Fax 415-328-5675
Palo Alto CA 94301________EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
Leave a ReplyWant to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!