Form Energy is a team of passionate people tackling the challenge of climate change through transformationally low cost energy storage. Our team members are active learners who enjoy working on tough technology problems in massive markets and embody our values of humanity, excellence and creativity. The company is backed by a diverse set of committed investors and we have raised over $100M to date.
Role DescriptionWe are looking for a Staff Modeling Engineer to join our full-scale reactor team to engage in detailed cell and device modeling. The Staff Modeling Engineer will develop mathematical models to describe the electrochemical behavior of Form Energy’s core battery technology, including PDE / ODE development and model execution in a commercial simulation package (i.e., COMSOL) or a scientific programming language (i.e., Python). This role will develop and maintain detailed electrochemical models and utilize these models to drive engineering decisions in the design and operation of Form Energy’s battery. In particular, this role will be responsible for executing computational studies to inform design tradeoffs among cell geometry, active material selection, and operating conditions (i.e., rate, temperature). This engineer is expected to collaborate with other modeling specialists to capture relevant active-material physics to incorporate into the full cell model. Finally, this engineer will collaborate with mechanical, electrical, and systems engineers to inform the model geometry and jointly execute design decisions. Extensive experience modeling the performance of electrochemical devices, such as lithium ion batteries, alkaline batteries, flow batteries, electrolyzers, or fuel cells, is required for the position.
What You'll Do:
- Create and validate FEA-based cell performance model, incorporating active material properties, product-intent mechanical design, and target operating conditions to describe the electrochemical behavior of Form Energy’s battery chemistry
- Develop mathematical models to describe electrochemical performance, including PDEs, ODEs, numerical methods, analytic solutions, or statistical analysis
- Execute design studies to optimize cell geometry, active materials, BOM cost, rate, and operating conditions within the electrochemical reactor using computational tools
- Generate reduced-order models that can be used as a basis for simplified battery or systems performance models
- Specify experiments, in collaboration with battery engineers, to fill data gaps that inform experimental input parameters and validate cell modeling efforts; collaborate with engineers across teams to interpret electrochemical test data
What You'll Bring:
- PhD in Materials Science, Chemical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering or similar, with a focus in engineering simulation or computation
- 5+ years experience modeling electrochemical devices (i.e., Li-ion, alkaline batteries, flow batteries, electrolyzers, fuel cells) in a product development setting
- Expert in electrochemical device simulation using FEA/FVM packages; COMSOL experience is preferred
- Expert in developing models with a scientific programming language; Python experience is preferred
- Deep theoretical understanding of electrochemical science and devices
- Strong technical communication skills, especially with remote team members
- Must be able to obtain US work authorization
Compensation, Benefits, and Perks Form Energy is committed to equitable compensation and we offer a generous benefits package to make sure you have the support you need. We cover 100% of employee premiums and 80% of dependent premiums for medical, dental, and vision insurance. We offer a flexible Paid Time Off program and every employee, regardless of gender identity or expression, is eligible for 12 weeks of paid parental bonding leave. We offer a 401k and all employees are granted stock options. A full listing of our benefits is available on our careers page.
At Form Energy, we are working toward a 100% renewable energy future for everyone in the world. We are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all our employees and are seeking to build a team that reflects the diversity of the people we hope to serve with our revolutionary products. Form Energy is proud to be an equal opportunity employer.