We are a fast-growing advanced materials company located in San Jose, CA, and we're looking for talented people who want to help us make a lasting impact on the world. Lyten has developed a breakthrough technology to custom design and manufacture Lyten 3D Graphene, a platform of carbon-based materials that has the promise to transform many industries. Imagine helping to transform the transportation industry to become more electric and reduce emissions in our atmosphere with a safer and more powerful battery platform. Imagine helping to develop new types of plastic materials that are stronger yet also weigh less, helping to reduce fuel costs in the shipping and logistics industry. Imagine building a chemical sensor that can better detect off-gasses or dangerous chemicals in order to save lives. With so much possibility, would you like to help make the world a better place?
Senior Battery Engineering Manager - Lithium Metal Anode
The Senior Manager of Lithium Metal Anode Engineering will be responsible for leading advanced engineering efforts to design and develop advanced lithium metal anodes compatible with Lyten's lithium-sulfur cell architecture and manufacturing process. You will lead the development of lithium metal anode materials by leveraging your in-depth knowledge of the industrial lithium foil supply chain (Li electro-chemistry, lithium purification, ingot casting, foil extrusion, foil rolling and cladding) to meet the performance requirements of Lyten Li-S batteries. You are an experienced people leader and your team will drive the efforts for the development of high quality Li foil, protective coating materials, processes, and cell integration techniques. You have experience with various cell and battery analytical techniques, including voltammetry, electrochemical impedance spectroscopy, cycle life testing to characterize and improve the anode performance.
You will have a strong record of scientific achievement in the areas of Li metal anodes for solid state batteries, Li-sulfur or Li-ion batteries, Li metal foil processing, and building a comprehensive team working on manufacturing secondary batteries. You will work with other components leads (cathode, electrolyte, separator) to define the process to deliver a scalable lithium anode production process. You will collaborate with external vendors and internal materials development teams to ensure cell design, performance, safety, compliance, cost, cycle life, recycling, etc.
- Produce high-purity, high-quality Li metal anode foil for high-performance lithium sulfur batteries
- Design, prepare and characterize protective coating materials for lithium metal anode.
- Contribute as a technical expert to create the specifications for the Li-S battery cell.
- Plan, develop and execute DOE for fabrication and testing of new anode materials.
- Perform failure analysis and develop mitigation actions.
- Create and document comprehensive technical specifications.
- Provide engineering support to cell integration and manufacturing teams
- Advanced degree in material science, chemistry, electrochemistry, chemical engineering, physics, with a minimum of 10 years of industry experience.
- In-depth knowledge of industrial lithium foil supply chain: Li electro-chemistry, lithium purification, metal ingot casting, metal foil extrusion, foil rolling and metal cladding
- Proven record of Li metal anode design for improving energy density, cycle life, and rate performance of Li-S batteries
- Experience with Li metal anode design under lean electrolyte conditions, high current densities, and high depths of discharge
- Experience with and understanding of electrochemical techniques, including impedance spectroscopy, cyclic/linear sweep voltammetry, PITT/GITT, 3-electrode cells, and Li+ conductivity measurements for solid thin films
- Experience with various material characterization techniques, including SEM, TEM, XRD, BET, Raman/IR spectroscopy, XPS, DLS
- Experience in assessing Li metal anode performance in symmetric/half cells
- Understanding of failure mechanisms of Li metal anodes and experience with failure analysis of cycled Li metal anodes in Li-S full cells
- Experience with quality control for commercial Li and Li metal electrodes
- Knowledge of scientific/engineering principles and limitations of various coating/film transfer techniques
- Knowledge of processes for pouch, cylindrical, and prismatic cell assembly and understanding of challenges associated with Li metal electrode design for each cell type
- Understanding of processes for and challenges with scale-up of lithium metal electrode production, including dry room compatibility, production rate, cost, and safety
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance
- Competitive salary with opportunity for career growth
- Employee stock option plans
- Employee relocation assistance program
Certain positions within Lyten, Inc. require compliance with export control laws and, as a result, all interviewed candidates will be screened pre-interview to determine their eligibility in light of export restrictions.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability. EEO Employer/Vet/Disabled.
Principals only; third party or agency submitted candidates will not be considered.
This position requires access to technology, software and other information that is subject to governmental access control restrictions, due to export controls. Employment in this position is conditioned on the continued availability of government authorization to authorize release of such items, to the extent required, including without limitation an export license, or other documentation required to establish authorization to receive access to such items. Company may delay commencement of employment, rescind an offer of employment, terminate employment, and/or may modify job responsibilities, compensation, benefits, and/or access to Company facilities and information systems, as Company deems appropriate, in order to ensure compliance with applicable government access control restrictions.