BAE Systems is looking for a Nuclear Surety Engineering Manager to join our team in Albuquerque, NM for an exciting opportunity to work on a unique government contract. The contract assists in acquisition and technical sustainment engineering and will augment government resources. The contract also provides breadth and depth of capabilities for system engineering and integration, risk management, technical assessment, acquisition program management, strategy development, organization and change management, interface with operations and logistics, business analysis, mission effectiveness, and demonstration/validation.
Why BAE Systems? BAE Systems is the third largest defense contractor in the world, with an exceptional, mission-focused culture. We are a uniquely valued mission partner delivering daily technical excellence and innovative solutions to our government customers. BAE Systems has earned accolades as a “Top Workplace” in Utah based on employee feedback for four consecutive years, earning special distinction for providing a healthy work-life balance for our valued employees. We work very hard to ensure this is a great place to work!
About the Job Our experts are responsible for integrated weapon system management, from inception to retirement. As the Nuclear Surety Engineering Manager, you will provide oversight and management of the Albuquerque, NM and work on a high-performing team to provide engineering, technical, and administrative expertise to the government to maintain their nuclear surety and nuclear certification programs in accordance with requirements detailed in Department of Defense, United States Strategic Command, and Air Force directives, manuals and instructions, ensuring the weapon system remains a reliable and effective nuclear deterrent. A qualified candidate will:
- Perform professional technical analysis or design reviews on one or more complex components or functional systems of products requiring the full use and wide application of established engineering principles, theories, concepts and precedents in the field plus a working knowledge of other related disciplines.
- Devise new techniques and approaches and provide solutions to a wide range of technical problems by drawing on their own areas of technical specialty and consulting with other engineering specialists for technologies where they do not have in-depth expertise.
- Assess issues and utilize or develop mechanisms for monitoring project progress and issue resolution with other project managers and customers, to meet productivity, quality, and customer satisfaction goals and objectives
- Evaluate plans and criteria for technical activities in their specialty and recommend alternatives as required to comply with customer and company obligations. May lead projects or segments of major projects with responsibility for achievement of cost, schedule, and technical performance objectives.
- Review and coordinate work with other team members to ensure progress is maintained to achieve specified aims; prepare data for reports on technical findings, recommendations, accomplishments and progress measured against specific plans; perform assignments as required by contractual agreements and review status of projects with BAE Systems and government customer management teams
- Attend conferences and meetings to represent assigned activity. Develop working group meeting agendas, prepare and consolidate briefing materials, provide meeting minutes, and draft answers to action items assigned by other agencies or organizations.
- Review and provide assessment and assistance to programs on items including: Nuclear Certification Impact Statements (NCIS); Certification Requirements Plans (CRP); Nuclear Safety Analysis Reports (NSAR); Nuclear Surety Evaluation Reports (NSER); Nuclear Surety Briefings; Point Papers; White Papers; Safety & Technical Surety Memoranda; Changes to the Master Nuclear Certification List (MNCL); Nuclear Certification Plans (NCP); Engineering Evaluation Reports (EER); Software Certification Plans (SCP); Technical Order (TO) change recommendations; Engineering Technical Analysis Requests (ETAR); compliance with applicable 91- series USAF Instructions; and the completion of assigned action items from safety mishap investigations.
- Author and publish white papers, formal analyses, and briefing materials to document engineering-based rationales to inform decision-makers in support of BAE Systems recommendations to our customer.
- Handle other duties as assigned, including extensive contributions to proposal efforts when requested by management
This position is located at 2309 Renard Place in in Albuquerque, New Mexico near Kirtland Air Force Base. Pursuant to Government contract, this position requires U.S. Citizenship status, and qualified candidates must be eligible for and successfully obtain a U.S. Government Top Secret security clearance.
Required Education, Experience, & Skills
10+ years of experience working on the operation, maintenance, or security of military weapon systems or;
Master's degree with 8+ years of experience working on the operation, maintenance, or security of military weapon systems or;
Eligible candidates must be able to acquire and maintain a U.S. Government Top Secret security clearance (U.S. citizenship is a pre-requisite; a current clearance is helpful, but not required). The criteria for obtaining a clearance is set by the US Government
Able to work independently, demonstrate strong initiative, and organize daily tasks with minimal supervision
Strong communication skills (oral and written) commensurate with expected mid- to senior-level civilian and military participants from various U.S. Government agencies, team members, and management
Demonstrated proficiency with Microsoft Office products including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook
Preferred Education, Experience, & Skills
Bachelor’s degree and 15+ years of experience with military technology and technical data; experience in ICBM operations, maintenance, or security as an officer or senior NCO highly desired
Demonstrated technical writing and presentation skills
Current U.S. Government security clearance highly desired (but not required)
Experience with nuclear surety, safety, and nuclear certification requirements highly desired
Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification highly desired
About BAE Systems Intelligence & Security
BAE Systems Intelligence & Security, based in McLean, Virginia, designs and delivers advanced defense, intelligence, and security solutions that support the important missions of our customers. Our pride and dedication shows in everything we do—from intelligence analysis, cyber operations and IT expertise to systems development, systems integration, and operations and maintenance services. Knowing that our work enables the U.S. military and government to recognize, manage and defeat threats inspires us to push ourselves and our technologies to new levels. That’s BAE Systems. That’s Inspired Work.