The remanufacturing engineering technician will join the process engineering team supporting Model SX battery remanufacturing in process improvement and failure analysis. This position will involve gaining an understanding of various components and their interaction within the vehicle. The technician analyzes components, equipment, test results, assembly methods, drawing prints, and electrical schematics to determine the true cause of a problem. He/She will also conduct critical, highly sensitive teardowns of our product to locate root cause. Once a root cause is determined, he/she also works with the battery production team to ensure a countermeasure is identified that prevents further recurrences. The technician will be the point of contact for the production line for all product related questions and abnormalities, including providing hands-on support for unsafe or unstable batteries. Additionally, he/she will develop, implement, and optimize remanufacturing processes in support of the ultimate goal of improving efficiency, safety, quality, and cost. The technician will oversee trial experiments for new products and processes, working closely with NPI team for new material cutovers. He/she will work closely with process engineers and participate in rapid improvement events. The technician will also create, update, and maintain process documentation including manufacturing instructions, flowcharts, visual aids, and electronic travelers (in MES and WarpRCA). He/she will be expected to contribute to weekly engineering team planning and prioritization meetings. The ideal candidate takes pride in his/her hands-on and analytical abilities, takes safety seriously, has strong organizational skills, and always pays attention to detail. He/She is self-motivated, receptive to feedback, and appreciates an environment where superior work is encouraged, noticed and rewarded.
* Perform complex and precise electrical and mechanical debug, repair, and remanufacturing
* Review battery log data for recent field failures, analyze alerts to determine failure mode, and define next steps for production line
* Performs hands-on teardowns of special interest batteries, including component level investigations of PCBAs and electro-mechanical assemblies, as well as cell extraction
* Document detailed repair history and findings in both JIRA and WarpRCA records
* Communicate findings effectively to Design, Manufacturing, Quality, Safety, and other departments
* Use standard lab equipment (soldering iron, multi-meter, oscilloscope, power supplies, etc.) and custom test fixtures, and contribute to development of new fixtures and tools
* Conduct controlled experiments to test hypotheses and help confirm root cause
* Collect, analyze, and summarize failure data, including graphical representations, and recommend action plans based on findings
* Work safely on HV batteries in all states of disrepair; discharge compromised batteries
* Support operators and line supervisors with day-to-day issues while driving long-term solutions
* Develop and maintain a thorough understanding the entire battery system
* Assist with validation efforts of new equipment or processes; sustain these processes after validation.
* Work with cross-disciplinary teams to involve all stakeholders in problem solving activities
* Train production staff on new processes via written process instructions and live demos
* Prioritize team projects to focus on solving the top issues impacting production efficiency, quality, safety, and cost.
* Support safety initiatives within remanufacturing processes.
* Maintain a clean and orderly work area following best 5S practices
* Prior experience working with li-ion and/or high voltage batteries preferred
* Knowledge of Model SX batteries is preferred
* Proven record of safety and diligence when working in dangerous environments; comfortable working on compromised HV batteries
* Basic understanding of electrical principles (Ohms law, etc.), electrical circuits (resistors, capacitors, diodes, etc.), and basic battery concepts (state of charge, capacity, etc.)
* Experience with problem solving tools such as 5 why's, cause-effect analysis, Pareto charts, 8D's, Kaizen, etc. is a plus
* Experience working with Tesla's MES and WarpRCA systems
* Experience with soldering, oscilloscopes, and other bench-testing equipment is a plus
* Strong analytical skills with experience collecting and analyzing data sets
* Hands-on, proactive approach to problem solving
* Ability to create flowcharts and author manufacturing instructions
* Demonstrated ability to learn new concepts quickly; comfortable in ambiguity
* Strong team working skills at all levels of an organization
* Strong skills with workplace software (Word, Excel, Visio)
* Communicate clearly using excellent written and verbal skills across cultures and geographic regions; strong command of English language
* Reliable, innovative, committed, self-starter; quality focused, capable of working unsupervised
* Able to work in a fast-paced environment, occasionally requiring extended hours/ weekend work.
* Able to perform repetitious duties while standing for long periods
* Able to lift 30-50 lbs.
Tesla is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer committed to diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, gender identity or any other factor protected by applicable federal, state or local laws.
Tesla is also committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. Please let your recruiter know if you need an accommodation at any point during the interview process.
For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this site click here to download a free compatible screen reader (free step by step tutorial can be found here). Please contact [Click Here to Email Your Resumé] for additional information or to request accommodations.
Privacy is a top priority for Tesla. We build it into our products and view it as an essential part of our business. To understand more about the data we collect and process as part of your application, please view our Tesla Talent Privacy Notice.