The Mechanical Engineer will be assigned primarily to lithium-ion battery related projects involving the design and integration of electrical and battery system components into custom enclosures for a wide range of material handling vehicles (forklifts, ground service equipment, Automatically Guided Vehicles, etc.) Scope to include enclosure design concept, parts selections, fastener choices and specs and design impact on cost of building the design.
The Engineer is also responsible for responding to customer product application requests (internal and external) for technical information relating to lithium-ion batteries, chargers, and their applications.
To perform this job successfully an individual must be able to perform each duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Create CAD models, drawings, specifications and proposals as needed for R&D and custom order fulfillment.
- Operate as a subject matter expert for material handling battery design applications
- Personally participate in building initial prototype of new designs for proof of design accuracy and fitment.
- Provide technical assistance and training to factory, sales, service, marketing, and customer personnel.
- Develop and execute physical test plans for new generation products.
- Recommend and assist in the development and testing of new products to support lithium customer applications.
- Perform and monitor field evaluations of new lithium products. Document and report field data.
- Recommend design changes to lithium battery and charger systems to improve the product performance.
- Collect, analyze and interpret application data to better understand customer sites to support sales, marketing, and lithium product warranty.
- Generate ideas leading to cost reduction and product or process improvement.
- Professional manner and strong verbal communication skills required
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Education, Experience, Certifications
- BS in Mechanical Engineering
- 2+ years of working Autodesk Inventor modeling and drawing experience
- Basic understanding of electrical systems and circuitry
- 2+ years of experience in product development in an industrial environment
- Must be comfortable and competent working with high energy systems
Competencies, Skills, KnowledgeLanguage Skills
- Ability to write detailed technical reports concerning assigned projects
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, good record keeping and documentation skills.
- Ability to speak effectively before groups, and to communicate professionally with customers
PC Software Knowledge
- Proficient in Autodesk Inventor to create and/or modify complex 3D mechanical designs.
- Computer applications knowledge in Windows environment with MS Office experience
- Hearing, speaking, seeing, writing, standing, lifting (50 lbs.), sitting, bending, walking, and carrying
- Normal office environment is typical. However, there will be frequent field and factory visits where there is some exposure to industrial environments including lithium and lead acid batteries, fumes, dirt, and noise
Travel, other requirements
- Domestic Travel within the US – typical 5% or less (drive or fly for supplier interface)
- Additional occasional international travel as needed - once every few years for 3-5 day durations
Stryten Manufacturing is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Stryten Manufacturing, www.stryten.com, is a leading provider of stored electrical-energy solutions for the Transportation and Industrial markets. Headquartered in Alpharetta, Georgia, the company operates transportation plants in Salina, Kansas, Manchester, Iowa and industrial facilities in Ft. Smith, Arkansas, Kansas City, Kansas and Charlottesville, Virginia. Its manufacturing plants are located Kansas City, Missouri, and Lampeter, Pennsylvania. These locations produce a comprehensive portfolio of battery and energy storage systems and specialty applications for the Transportation, Network Power and Motive Power markets. Also served are industries such as agricultural, automotive, heavy-duty truck, marine, materials handling, military, mining, railroad, security, telecommunications, utility and uninterruptible power supply (UPS), among others.